Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Patty Melts

Patty Melt

After the Albondigas, I had just a bit of beef leftover. I am by no means a vegetarian, but I noticed I have been eating a lot of vegetarian meals lately. This week I have turned into a complete carnivore! I remembered this recipe that I came across recently so instead of re-freezing the meat, I used it up in these simple sandwiches. I used to think I hated things like rye bread, but I picked up some onion rye at TJs and really enjoyed it with these sandwiches. You really can't go wrong with sweet onions and nutty cheese. I think next time I will make the patties a little flatter, but this is a really good meal after say, a night of drinking (just saying!). I think the only only thing that would make this sandwich better is some sort of spread. If you decide to try it, let me know what you come up with!

Patty Melt




Patty Melts
(From Serious Eats who adapted from Saveur)

Makes 2 sandwiches

8 ounces ground beef
1 small onion, thinly sliced
4 slices rye bread
4 slices Swiss cheese
2 tablespoons Canola oil
2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
Salt and black pepper

Divide the meat into two balls. Form each one into a 1/4-inch patty that is just slightly larger than the slices of bread. Season each patty generously with salt and pepper.

Pour 1 tablespoon of the oil into a small skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until browned, about 10 minutes or so. Set aside.

Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat. Pour in the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. When it's hot, add the burger patties. Cook for about 2 minutes per side. They should be well browned, but still slightly medium or medium-rare inside. Set aside.

Top two of the slices of bread each with some onions, a slice of cheese, cooked patty, another slice of cheese and finally a slice of bread. Slather each sandwich on top and bottom with the butter.

Wipe out the skillet. Then turn the heat to medium. Add the sandwiches. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes a side, or until the bread is golden browned and the cheese has melted.Slice in half diagonally and serve.
Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

20 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Don't these look terrific. I'm inordinately fond of patty melts.

vanillasugarblog said...

sweet sarah!
man that looks good. I don't eat a lot of meat, but when I do I want it kicked up a few notches like this.

Erica said...

mmmm mmmm melty sammy. I like mine with cheese, tomato and maybe a little pesto. Something tells me Josh would rather have yours ;)

Krissy @ The Food Addicts said...

mmm.. that patty melt would be great to have for lunch right now! hopefully we run into you at the foodbuzz festival this weekend! we're totally lookin forward to it.

Antonietta said...

Patty Melts are my favorite guilty pleasure and yours looks divine!

Kerstin said...

Your pictures are making my mouth water! Your patty melt looks fantastic!

Diana said...

I've been eating a ton of veggie meals lately too! It's been bean city over in my apartment! Though I still nosh on the turkey sams for lunch.

Maybe I need to take a break and get some beef now... those meatballs look reaaaaally good.

Anonymous said...

OMG Esi these look so good!!


*Drools*

Erica said...

What a fantastic blog! your pictures are beautiful and the recipes are delicious!

Jenn said...

Me love patty melts a lot!!!! Great use of leftovers. *drool*

Reeni said...

I was craving a patty melt this past weekend! This looks incredible!

Olga said...

That looks great. I don't think I'm a fan of rye bread (although it's a very Russian thing!).

Wonder if a spread of sun-dried tomatoes would be good in this.

Simones Kitchen said...

They look delicious! I love all kinds of bread although I always get a bit confused with the english names for bread..:) I think these would go really well with any kind of simple tomato sauce!

Chef Fresco said...

Oh yum! We love makin sammies. Michael really loves the melty cheese :)

Nina Timm said...

For me, starting my weekend looking at something so decadent and delicious only means trouble!!!Now, I just want to eat all the "wrong" stuff!!

Cakespy said...

What an absolutely perfect rainy day sandwich. I wish I had one right now!

Alicia Foodycat said...

That sure is a cure for vegetarianism! It looks fantastic!

test it comm said...

That sandwich all covered in melted cheese looks so good!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) said...

Patty melts are always delicious and this one looks fantastic!

The Food Librarian said...

Could this get anymore yummy!? I want. I want!