Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Cotija Corn Off the Cob

Cotija Corn Off the Cob

This past weekend I went to Palm Springs for a faaaaaabulous getaway. Seriously, it was the kind of fabulous weekend that requires multiple a’s. It was so nice to get out of town for a couple of days and just live in the lap of luxury, dipping my feet into the pool, drinking wine, and feeling relaxed. I wish it didn’t end. On Saturday, we stopped by the bar at the Ace Hotel for drinks and appetizers. One of the delicious things we tried was corn off the cob mixed with Cotija cheese and lime juice. I love Cotija cheese since I tried my hand at cooking with it at Raul’s birthday party several months ago. I love that squeaky salty texture and I have been thinking of ways to use it ever since. This recipe is essentially Mexican corn, but served in a much easier way off the cob and like a salsa. I think this would be really great with some black beans thrown in the mix or the corn grilled over a gas or charcoal grill for a nice smoky flavor.

Cotija Corn off the Cob

Cotija Corn Off The Cob

(Inspired by the Ace Hotel in Palm Springs)

Makes at least 4 servings as an appetizer

4 ears of corn on the cob, husks removed
6 ounces cotija cheese, cubed or crumbled
Juice of 1 large lime
1/4 teaspoon chili powder, or more to taste
1 teaspoon cilantro, chopped
Kosher salt to taste

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt and then the corn. Boil the corn for about 3-5 minutes until tender. Let the corn dry and cool down. Using a knife, remove the kernels from the cob.

In a large bowl, mix the corn kernels, cotija cheese, lime juice, chili powder, and cilantro. Taste and adjust the seasonings as necessary. Season with salt and serve warm with corn chips, microwaving if necessary.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

15 comments:

Erica said...

Glad you had such a nice trip! Our next real getaway is in March and I cannot wait! This recipe looks awesome- I love Cotija and think it blends so well with the lime. Yum

vanillasugarblog said...

yeah yeah I get it you had a good time. lol
lucky beeeeotch.
;-P

Unknown said...

what a delicious and simple recipe! yum! where can i get cojita cheese?

Esi said...

Erica, aren't you so excited to get away?!

Dawn, haha yes. It was amazing. Next time you should come with!!

Nastassia, you can get Cotija at Ralphs or Whole Foods. I haven't seen it at TJs yet.

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a simpoly delicious recipe. I can't wait to give this a try.

Gastronomer said...

I like the combination of flavors and textures in this dish! Wouldn't it be fab if sweet corn were available year round? YES!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) said...

That corn looks sooooooo good! I live in L.A. and often forget how close Palm Springs is. I should go!

Glad you enjoyed yourself :)

Reeni said...

This corn is the vibrant color of sunshine! I bet it's delicious! Glad you had a nice getaway!

Fresh Local and Best said...

Oooo! This corn dish looks so good. I love the bright flavors of lime and cilantro, it must have been yummy!

Lisa said...

Oh god, I love corn with cotija cheese, and in the city (NYC) they sell roasted cobs off the cart slathered with it! I have to try it off the cob like yours :)

That said, love your foodbuzz fest pics..so glad you had a great time..wish I could have been there!

Olga said...

This would be so perfect for all the summer picnics!

Alicia Foodycat said...

That looks so good - I think I'd like it as a side dish to some spicy chicken.

Unknown said...

ooh, palm springs? lucky you! i need more cotija in my life ;) another winner, for sure!

Amy said...

That looks delicious. I miss corn on the cob! I have some wonderful stuff in the freezer though that I sliced from the cob when I was overrun with corn from my CSA share. I will have to try this...the salty Cotija Cheese flavor is a favorite of mine!

Jackie said...

Hi

What is Cotija Cheese and where can you get it.