Saturday, November 14, 2009

Foodbuzz Blogger Festival: Day 2 Morning and Afternoon

>I Heart Foodbuzz


After feeling sufficiently rested, Joy and I met up with Sonja, Gaby, and Rachael to head over to the Ferry Building. Upstairs there were a few pastries and coffee set out before Pim’s book signing. I finally got to meet Kelly of Sass and Veracity as well!! We decided to forgo the pastries and head downstairs to explore the market. There are so many great places in the Ferry Building, but we were all focused on Miette. After some deliberation I decided on a Scharffen Berger chocolate cake covered in two layers of chocolate ganache. To be on the safe side, I washed it down with a rose geranium macaron. It was honestly one of the best breakfasts I have had in a long time! Our little group also managed to consume a brownie, chocolate pot de crème, caramel pot de crème, and a lemon tart. Pretty impressive, huh?


Miette


Miette


Macarons at Miette


Scharffen Berger Cake at Miette


We also got to wander around the market and try many samples including the cutest little apples I have ever seen. Being from California, I know the produce we have at this time of year is amazing so it was funny to see how excited people from outside of the state got when they saw things like strawberries in November and persimmons.


Wickson Apples


Giant Fuyu Persimmons


Hibiscus Iced Tea

After many samples, I washed everything down with a hibiscus iced tea which was very refreshing. Since I didn’t get in to the Cowgirl Creamery tasting, I made my way back to Vitale for the farm to table discussion headed by Chef Paul Arenstam of the Americano Restaurant and Bar at the Hotel Vitale and [blah hat guy] who is the General Manager at Hearst Ranch. I actually thought the discussion would be about all aspects of farming, but the focus in this discussion was about grassfed beef. Since I already use local and grassfed beef exclusively this discussion wasn’t anything new for me, but I am sure other people learned a lot. One of the highlights was when we were offered a discount on Hearst Ranch’s cattle share program. All you need to do to redeem it is use the code “Foodbuzz” at checkout for a 30% discount. It’s a pricey program, so grab some friends and split the tab (and all that beef!!)


California Sparklers


After a quick cab ride, we found ourselves at the Metreon which was the site of the taste pavilion. We rushed upstairs only to be told we had to wait a while so they could finish setting up. Once they opened the gate, everyone rushed in. Having experienced an overwhelming taste pavilion last year at Slow Food Nation, I knew the best thing I could do was walk all the way to the back glancing at what everyone was offering and then make my way back to the front. I am so glad I started in the back!! I got to meet Zoe Francois and get a signed copy of her new book Healthy Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. Soon after the taste pavilion opened up, it was time for our tasting of California sparkling wines. Each glass was delicious in its own way, but my favorite (of course) was the most expensive. Just proves that Gaby and I are not cheap dates! Of course after that we were a little buzzed and we ate and drank a lot! Highlights for me were the pumpkin pie caramellos and passionfruit marshmallows (best marshmallows EVER) from BonBonBar, the chardonnay which didn’t even taste like a chardonnay from Bandit wine (in earth friendly packaging no less), and the beef hotdogs from [company]. I also met a few more people such as Shannon from Tri To Cook and Brooke of Foodwoolf. It was great to run into Krissy and Daniel from The Food Addicts. We stayed long enough at the taste pavilion to grab some more swag. My arms were sore from carrying so much stuff!! The rest of my Foodbuzz Festival adventures coming tomorrow!


Nastassia and Christina

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments:

Gastronomer said...

Why can't we Foodbuzz it every weekend? Your photos look terrific!

Jenn said...

I just had brunch, but I'm so tempted right now my those cupcakes. Thanks for sharing.

kellypea said...

Hey Esi -- nice job on this. It's a bit overwhelming to think about all the people I met last weekend and I haven't even started writing it up yet. Thinking about those lovely desserts from Miette has me salivating right now ; )

Erica said...

So what was your favorite part and food at the festival???

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

I want to go back for those pumpkin caramels delights from bonbon bar so glad you made me go get one! I had a lot of fun with you last weekend so glad we finally met. Cute pic by the way, I feel like a celebrity have a pic on your blog =)!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I've moved from merely envious to jealous. It sounds like you all had so much fun.

Simones Kitchen said...

It all looks very very good..! Love all those macarons too.

The Duo Dishes said...

There needs to be a Miette in LA. Just saying!

Sharon said...

Ok, how jealous am I? Beautiful photos!

Esi said...

Cathy, agreed. We should find a way to make it happen.

Kelly, I am so excited to read your roundup and I think another visit to Miette would be a great thing...soon!

Erica, my favorite part was the Taste pavilion on Saturday. Write up tomorrow!

Nastassia, those pumpkin caramellos are so incredible. I need to order more.

Chrystal and Amir, who can we bother to get a Miette in LA..stat!!

Unknown said...

I loved those pumpkin pie caramellos :) thanks for the miette tip, too, i was bummed i only got one ;) (in my defense it was right after brunch...)

Danica's Daily said...

It was great to meet you at the Farm to Table discussion. I totally agree with ya - I was hoping there would be some talk about cooking with seasonal produce, possibly some recipes from the chef :) *sigh* oh well....It was a fun time at the festival and maybe next time we can chat more :)

Danica

Brooke said...

It was so fun hanging out with you at Food Buzz! Great seeing this re-cap. You really captured the day!