Monday, March 19, 2012

Asparagus Mimosa

Asparagus Mimosa

It seems the book Plenty was on many top ten lists as one of the best cookbooks of last year. I've been dying to check it out so that's just what I did..from my local library..on my iPad. God bless technology! There is a reason this book was on so many lists last year. It's fantastic. It's divided by vegetable and has everything from hearty main dishes to light sides. It even has me wanting to try vegetables I normally shy away from, like eggplant. The cover photo with the eggplant with buttermilk sauce and pomegranate was in my mind for months when the book first came out. Since asparagus is coming back in season, I chose this spring-appropriate recipe as the first one for me to try from the book. The original recipe calls for simply blanching the asparagus, but I am so in love with the nutty flavor of roasted asparagus. This is a simple, comforting dish to highlight the flavors of the new season. I'm so in love with it, I've already made it twice in the last couple of weeks. I'm looking forward to the summer bounty so I can make more recipes from this book.


One year ago: Berlin Currywurst
Two years ago: Momofuku's Crack Pie
Three years ago: Samoas Ice Cream


Asparagus Mimosa
(Adapted from Plenty: Vibrant Recipes from London's Ottolenghi)

Makes 4 servings

2 eggs, hard-boiled and cooled completely
1 bunch of medium asparagus, trimmed
1 tablespoon olive oil
Kosher salt

Black pepper
2 teaspoon small capers, drained
Flaky sea salt or pink Himalayan salt for finishing

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Toss the asparagus with the olive oil and season with kosher salt and black pepper to taste. Roast the asparagus for 15-20 minutes or until tender.

While the asparagus is roasting, peel the eggs and grate on a coarse cheese grater.

Divide the asparagus among serving plates. Top each plate with some of the grated egg, staying close to the center of the stalks. Season the grated egg lightly with flaky sea salt or pink Himalayan salt. Top the eggs with the capers and serve.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

10 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

Going to go check that book out now on amazon.

Unknown said...

i have totally been wanting this book!! love the looks of this dish, although i expected some sort of drink... :-P

Erica said...

Yum! Great simple dish. Eggs and veggies- can't go wrong!

susan said...

Yum, this is my kind of meal!

Lucy Lean said...

Glad you loved Plenty - Yotam Ottolenghi is a good friend. You should check out THE OTTOLENGHI COOKBOOK too - he's currently working on a recipe book about Middle Eastern food - can't wait for that one!

Joanne said...

I love every recipe I've made from that book and I certainly haven't made enough! This is totally being made this spring...looks delicious!

GiGi Eats Celebrities said...

OMG I love this combo! Asparagus or Green Beans is perfect for this recipe!

http://gigieatscelebrities.com

Gastronomer said...

So simple, so beautiful! Grated eggs kinda look like pre-grated Mexican cheese mix, yes?

test it comm said...

Now that is a nice way to enjoy some asparagus!

Kristina Vanni said...

Sounds yummy! What a great way to start off the day. Can't wait to give it a try!