Thursday, March 15, 2012

Baco Mercat

During my last few weeks of living in LA, I've become something of a "lady who lunches". I should move out of town more often! It's been a great way to catch up with friends before I leave town and also a way to cross off some more restaurants off the LA bucket list that resides in my head. Recently, I was able to dine at Baco Mercat. It's a newish restaurant in downtown LA helmed by chef Josef Centeno, formerly of Lazy Ox Canteen. Their signature dish is the baco which is a flatbread sandwich. The bread is really amazing here. It's kind of like a homemade pita, but a little thinner and slightly chewy. It compliments the ingredients inside rather than overpowers them.

Baco Mercat Menu

To start, Ben and I shared the zataar and olive oil with lebni ($4). Both sauces are flavorful, but the lebni yogurt sauce was our favorite and we asked for more of the amazing flatbread to sop it up.

Zataar and Olive Oil

For this first visit, we both ordered the "Original" Baco ($8). It's stuffed with pork belly and beef carnitas, salbitxada (a tomato and almond sauce), and smoked aioli. At first glance, it's a bit overwhelming, but you just pick it up and eat like a sandwich. The carnitas are crisp, but tender. The sauce is fresh, and though it's meaty, you don't feel heavy after eating it.

The Original Baco

Restaurants like this show the progress that Los Angeles has made in the ten years since I moved here. The food scene has improved so much and it will be interesting to see where it has yet to go after I leave.

Don't forget, you have through the weekend to enter my giveaway!!

Other bloggers enjoying Baco Mercat:
e*star LA
Amateur Gourmet
Consuming LA


Baco Mercat
403 S. Main St.
Los Angeles, CA 90013
(213) 687-8808
Website

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments:

Erica said...

That bread looks amazing

e*star said...

I'm going to miss you!!!! XO.

Esi said...

Esther, I will miss you too! Come visit me in Chicago :)

Gastronomer said...

This spot is on my to-eat list too! I had a small taste of baco at Gold Standard. Need more.

Joanne said...

hmm maybe I should consider moving so I can become a lady who lunches!

vanillasugarblog said...

that flatbread sounds and looks so good.
think of all the good joints in chicago. that famous joint (in chicago) owned by charlie trotters is closing soon. he's getting out of the biz. maybe you, oprah and I should go there before it closes? you up for it? lol

Lucy Lean said...

love that bread - it's soft and yet crisp on the outside and then unlike a pita it folds over without cracking - can't wait to hear what you get up to in Chicago - your first stop MUST be Belly Shack followed by Longman and Eagle and then GT Oysters - enjoy and don't forget your friends back here in LA LA land. x

Kristina Vanni said...

I love a great flatbread sandwich. Their menu looks like it has such a great variety of flavors! Will definitely have to check them out!

Deliciously Organic said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll put it on my list!

Esi said...

Dawn, sure, let's do it! :)

Lucy, thanks for all the recommendations! I can't wait to explore the Chicago food scene.

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

i've only gone for a drink I can too late for lunch but have been dying to go back and actually try some food. it all looks amazing!

Elliott said...

Your pics here are fantastic.

aida mollenkamp said...

Thanks for the round up and have a great move!