Thursday, March 8, 2012

Mexicali Taco & Co

Mexicali Taco & Co used to be a truck parked in a parking lot in downtown LA. A few weeks ago, they opened a brick and mortar location and I could not wait to try it out. Now that it is an actual restaurant, the prices have raised a bit, but it's still inexpensive compared to other options and you can have a great dinner for about ten bucks. The menu is short and sweet with tacos, tostadas (cachetada), quesadillas, nachos, and their famous vampiros. You can add a fried egg to any dish for an additional $.75.

I had a sample of the vampiro ($3.75) back at LA Street Food Fest and I couldn't wait to try a full one. This was just as good as  I remembered with an addictive garlic sauce accenting the cheese and chicken sandwiched in the tortilla.

Chicken Vampiro

Mexicali is famous for their carne asada which I enjoyed in my tacos ($3.25)

Carne Asada Tacos

Kris and I shared the cachetada ($3.00) topped with chicken, cheese, and a spicy chipotle aioli. This was actually quite rich so I found the salsas from the salsa bar came in handy to cut through some of the fattiness.

Chicken Cachetada

Salsas

All of the dishes come with grilled green onions and beans. The restaurant doesn't serve alcohol, but they have a variety of sodas and agua frescas to go with your meal. With great pricing and hearty food, Mexicali is a great addition to the downtown LA food scene. I hope to be able to visit a few more times before I leave LA.




Mexicali Taco & Co.
702 N. Figueroa St.
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 613-0416
*Cash only
Website

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

Erica said...

Leave LA?? Where are you going?? What a cool spot. The side of onions is awesome

Esi said...

Erica, I'm moving to Chicago in a few weeks!

Joanne said...

The one thing the east coast is terribly lacking in is good Mexican food! This looks awesome.

aida mollenkamp said...

Moving to Chicago? No! I'll miss all your posts on where to eat in LA!

Esi said...

I have a few more LA posts coming up, but also stay tuned about where to eat in Chicago!

Kristina Vanni said...

I need to visit downtown LA more often! I am curious about this garlic sauce and flavor. Sounds delicious!

lisa is cooking said...

Love the thought of the vampiro! And, adding a fried egg to anything.

Erica said...

I had no idea you were moving to Chicago! What a change- how exciting!!