Monday, March 5, 2012

Speculoos Spread Chocolate Chip Cookies

Speculoos Chocolate Chip Cookies

I feel like there was a point  last year when every food blogger was raving about speculoos spread...in particular, the Biscoff brand. I had no idea what they were talking about so I did a little investigating. I found Biscoff at Gelson's, but I couldn't justify the price. Then a few weeks later, I saw that Trader Joe's carried their own version for much cheaper. I picked up a jar without thinking twice. Now I understand the hype. For those not in the know, the spread is made from ground speculoos cookies. It has the consistency of peanut butter, but contains no nuts and it's gently and warmly spiced with notes of cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, and ginger. In other words...totally addictive. Though I like to make sweets, I don't usually keep a bunch of sweet things in my house so I needed to find a way to use up some of this delicious spread. These cookies are a little crispy and a little chewy and a lot chocolatey. In fact, I found the chocolate sort of overpowered the gentle flavor of the speculoos spread so to make things more decadent, I sandwiched more spread in between two cookies. Just. Heavenly.

Speculoos Sandwich Cookies

Speculoos Sandwich Cookies


Cookie ingredients
Just a few ingredients to take you to cookie heaven

Making dough
Mixing the dough

Fold in the chocolate chips
Fold in the chocolate chips

Scoop out the dough
Scoop out the dough and bake it

Other recipes using speculoos spread from around the Internets:
Speculoos No-Bake Granola from Cooking Books
Speculoos Spread Cups from have cake, will travel
Chocolate Speculoos Tart from Lemonpi


Speculoos Spread Chocolate Chip Cookies
(Adapted from Kirbie's Cravings)

Makes about 4 dozen cookies

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
6 tablespoons (packed) light brown sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup Speculoos spread
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside

In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, cream the butter and the sugars together until light and fluffy. Add the egg, then the vanilla, then the Speculoos.

With the mixer on low, add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. Mix just until incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Using a tablespoon or small ice cream scoop, drop the dough onto the parchment paper. Bake for 6-8 minutes until the cookies are lightly browned around the edges. The cookies will be puffy when you take them out of the oven, but will deflate as they cool.

Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. If desired, make sandwich cookies by spooning more Speculoos in between two cookies.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

18 comments:

marla said...

Delicious looking cookies!

Erica said...

Our TJs isn't carrying this :( TEAR! The cookies look amazing though. Jealous ;)

Maria said...

We don't have TJ's but I am addicted to Biscoff Spread. I love baking with it! Love the cookies!

emily (a nutritionist eats) said...

So it really is worth the hype?!
I almost picked some up a few weeks ago, but then I was thinking that if I wanted cookies, why wouldn't I just eat cookies?! (I'm no fun, I know)

Kristina Vanni said...

I can't wait to check out my local TJ's to see if they carry this spread. Sounds delicious! What a nice presentation!

Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] said...

Wha?! Where have I been? This is the 1st time I have learned of Speculoos Spread. I need to make these asap. Yum!

susan said...

there really isnt anything better than a chocolate chip cookie...except when it is sandwiched with this lucious spread. love the creativity!

Joanne said...

Swoon. As a resident speculoos spread AND biscoff addict...I love/hate you right now.

Deena @ stay at home FOODIE said...

I've never heard of speculum spread... Sounds amazing!

Gastronomer said...

Sandwich cookie. Plain genius! I WANT ONE!

Unknown said...

i haven't bought this stuff... b/c i know i won't be able to keep my paws out of the jar ;) these cookies look perfect, and i don't know that i'd be able to behave around these, either!

vanillasugarblog said...

I still haven't picked this up yet. But I tried that chocolate bar stuffed with the biscoff? Did you try that? Pretty good.
Needs salt. lol

Let Me Eat Cake said...

i am soooo obsessed with cookie butter!

Diana said...

Umm yeah, I'm going to have to make that as soon as Lent is over. But do you think I can use nacho cheese instead of the speeculoos and dried currants instead of the chocolate chips and mustard instead of the flour?

Also, I don't really like cookies.

Yaya Kim said...

I have been making chocolate chip cookies for over 40 years. Honestly, these are the best I've ever made. They are great both hot (of course all cookies are good hot) and irresistible on day 2 cold as well. I think I will only make these in the future. I may up the chocolate chips for my family but absolutely awesome. Thx! Kim

Esi said...

Kim, that is the nicest comment I have received in a long time. So happy you enjoyed the cookies!

Jenny said...

Good recipe! I used the Cocoa + Cookie butter from TJ's and baked them for exactly 7 minutes. Yum.

Esi said...

Hi Jenny, that sounds delicious. I still need to try that version of Speculoos. Glad you enjoyed!