Friday, March 30, 2012

Son of a Gun

Before I left LA, my meals out weren't only restricted to lunches. Once I packed all my kitchen gear, I was at the mercy of local restaurants, but it was also a good way to catch up with friends. One evening I was able to cross Son of a Gun off that list. Son of a Gun is the seafood companion to Animal restaurant which I had a great experience at about a year and a half ago. I mistakenly thought that because it was a seafood place, the food would be a little lighter. Boy was I wrong.

Son of a Gun Menu

We started with the chips and dip ($10). The largest homemade chips I have ever seen are paired with a pimento cheese dip. The dip is bright and cheesy, but the big homemade chips are so addictive, you almost forget to dip them.

Chips & Dip

For a little bit of green, we ordered the chicory salad with cauliflower, anchovy vinaigrette, walnuts, and parmesan ($9). The greens are slightly bitter which pair well with the vinaigrette, walnuts, and Parmesan, but I wish there had been a bit more of the thinly sliced cauliflower.

Chicory and Cauliflower Salad

At first glance, I was disappointed at the size of the shrimp toast sandwich, with herbs and sriracha mayo  ($11), but one bite and you will see that it is more than enough. This sandwich is incredibly rich with buttery toast, sweet shrimp, and the sriracha mayonnaise to bring it all together.

Shrimp Toast at Son of a Gun

Though Son of a Gun is primarily a seafood restaurant, it seems their most popular offering is the fried chicken sandwich, with spicy bread and butter pickle slaw and rooster aioli ($11). It's a huge sandwich that can easily be shared with two or more people. The spicy slaw cuts through the breading of the juicy chicken. It's messy and so fun to eat.

Chicken Sandwich at Son of a Gun

I miss my friends and some of the restaurants in LA, but I am having a blast so far in Chicago and can't wait to share what I've been chowing down on. Stay tuned!


One year ago: Thai-Style Chicken Biryani
Two years ago: Sticky Meyer Lemon Rolls
Three years ago: Strawberry Galette with Lemon Curd in Thyme Crust


Son of a Gun Restaurant
8370 W. 3rd Street
Los Angeles, CA 90048
(323) 782- 9033
Website

Stumble Upon Toolbar

6 comments:

susan said...

I am going to miss your LA restaurant reviews and living vicariously through you. Yet, I know you are going to soar in the windy city!

Diana said...

So glad we were able to get together for one last meal! Hope Chicago is treating you well!

marla said...

Love the name of this place ~ sounds like a must try!

Joanne said...

This looks like the seafood meal from heaven!

Gastronomer said...

Deep fried and creamy. Yep, that's about it ;-)

Kristina Vanni said...

So excited to check out a new Seafood place in Los Angeles. This sounds great! I will miss reading about your local picks!