Sunday, June 29, 2008

Greek-Style Quinoa Burgers

Yesterday I went for a hike. Then at night I went out and had a little too much Proseco. I am totally feeling the pain today, but I still managed to get up and walk to the Farmer's Market. It was a quick trip and I am totally glad I went, but now I feel like spending the rest of the day in bed. However, I am really hungry. I picked up a little greasy something at the market, but in order to make up for last night's lack of virtue I want to have something a little healthy for lunch. What's healthier than quinoa? Nothing!

Greek-Style Quinoa Burgers
(adapted from Everyday Food)

Makes 2 burgers

1/4 c rinsed organic quinoa
1/2 medium carrot, cut in large chunks
3 scallions, thinly sliced
8 oz organic garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp seasoned breadcrumbs
1/2 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 tsp cumin
coarse salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 c plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 pita breads
1/2 Persian cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced

In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 c of water and quinoa to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 12 minutes and set aside.

In a blender, pulse carrot until finely chopped. Add cooked quinoa, half the scallions, beans, breadcrumbs, egg, cumin, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp pepper. Pulse until combined but still slightly chunky.*

Form mixture into two 3/4 inch patties (dip hands in water to prevent sticking. If too soft, refrigerate for 10 minutes to firm. In a nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium; cook burgers until browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes per side.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice and the remaining scallions. Season with salt and pepper. Serve burgers in a pita topped with cucumber and yogurt sauce.

*This was a labor of love for me. I strongly suggest using a food processor (I, unfortunately, do not have one). I ended up blending this mixture in batches and scooping out the blender each time. It was well worth it though, the flavor combination is FANTASTIC.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love quinoa but have never used it in this way. This sounds great & I look forward to trying soon...have half a pkt sat in front of me right now!

Thistlemoon said...

This sounds delicious! I like to make a similar burger with bulgur. It is just so yummy to make your own!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll!

test it comm said...

That burger looks good. I like the sound of a quinoa and bean burger.