Wednesday, June 4, 2008

My Breakfast Is Better than Yours


Ok, that may be a slight exaggeration, but oh wow!! After cooking with my new favorite ingredient, I was looking for other cool ways to use this awesome grain. I saw this post the other day and thought, hmmm...how good could that be? I didn't want to believe the claim that the muffins came out moist, but man oh man am I glad I tried it. These muffins came out so well that I ended up having one for dinner too! I'm not such a huge fan of raisins so I made half of them with chocolate chips. I also added cinnamon because I have such a love affair with it and let me tell you, the smells of cinnamon and chocolate filling up my apartment were almost more than I could bare. These muffins come out moist with a slightly crunchy top and just the right amount of sweetness. As suggested, the plain ones can be eaten with strawberry (or your favorite berry) preserves. The chocolate chip are just fine on their own. This is one muffin where I won't just be eating the top. ;)

Quinoa Muffins
(adapted from Everyday Food)

Makes 12 muffins

1 c quinoa, rinsed (when cooked equals at least two cups)
1/4 c canola oil
2 c all-purpose flour plus more for dusting the pan
3/4 c packed dark brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 c semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
3/4 c 2% milk
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium saucepan bring quinoa and 1 1/4 cups of water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until water has been absorbed and quinoa is tender. About 10-12 minutes.

Meanwhile, spray a standard 12 cup muffin pan with non-stick spray and dust with flour, tapping out the excess.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, sugar, and two cups of quinoa. In a separate bowl whisk oil, milk, egg, and vanilla. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. If desired, stir in chocolate chips.

Divide batter among prepared muffin cups and bake until a toothpick or fork stuck into the center muffin comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool muffins in pan for about 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack and cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been meaning to try these!!! They look great :)