Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Pan-Seared Steak with Salsa Verde

I didn't grow up a steak person. In fact, the first time I ever had steak was when I was 13 years old and visiting Paris for the first time. I don't think I had it again until college. There was even a time a few years ago where I gave up all meat except for seafood for nearly two years! That ended when I realized I was getting intense cravings for bacon. Now I make no secret about my love for bacon. While I enjoy the occasional burger (hello Chaya!), I have never been a big steak eater. Last summer I found a recipe for an awesome marinated steak from Emeril (which I am sure I will be grilling up at some point this summer) but for this week I wanted to continue to explore the "Everyday Food For One". Most of these recipes have yielded about 2 servings for me, either because I have doubled them or the chicken or steak I have cooked with has been rather large for a weeknight dinner.

Pan-Seared Steak with Salsa Verde
(adapted from Everyday Food)

1/3 c Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
1 tbsp small capers, rinsed
1 tbsp minced shallot (about 1/2 of a large shallot)
2 tsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 Angus beef boneless Sirloin fillet (about 6 oz - but I think an actual serving is 4 oz)
4 oz Trader Joes mixed organic greens

For the salsa verde: In a small bowl, mix together parsley, capers, shallot, vinegar, mustard, and 1 tbsp water. Taste and season with salt (if necessary) and pepper and set aside.

In a small skillet, heat 2 tsp oil of medium-high heat. Season steak generously with salt and pepper. Cook turning once, until well browned. About 4 minutes on each side for medium well. Remove steak from pan and let it rest for at least 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan bring 1 inch salted water to a boil over high heat. Add greens and cook for about 4 minutes until tender. Drain and serve alongside steak and salsa.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is fab! I always have steak in Paris at a restaurant just off Champs Elysee...and it is sooo good. This sounds just great too! Thank you!

Esi said...

Thank you! I can't wait to go back to Paris!