Friday, June 20, 2008

Pineapple Strawberry Granita

A few days ago I mentioned how hot it was. Today it's even hotter. I got home and wanted to stick my head in the freezer for a while. Luckily, I made this delicious frozen treat last night so the head freezing thing was not necessary. Last week at the Farmer's Market, Raul bought me some delicious, ripe strawberries. The first three days of the week, I poured through recipes trying to figure out what I could do with them besides just eat them (which I did one day for breakfast). Then I remembered that I had saved this recipe on Tastespotting (oh how I miss thee, Tastespotting) and with the increasing temperature, I quickly decided on this. Talk about your quick to prepare recipes, but allow a lot of time to freeze. I actually prepared this last night and let it freeze overnight. It will keep for about two weeks in my freezer.

Pineapple Strawberry Granita
(from Epicurious via Do Better)

1/2 a fresh pineapple cut into chunks (I cheated and bought the pre-sliced NOT canned)
1 pint organic strawberries, hulled
3/4 c sugar*
3/4 c water

In a blender, puree pineapple until smooth. Pour into a bowl and set aside. Next puree the strawberries until smooth. Add pineapple, water, and sugar and mix well.

Strain the mixture through a wire sieve into an 8x8 baking dish. Place in fork and stir every hour until frozen, about 4 1/2 hours. Store in the freezer. When serving, separate with a a fork.

*I went a little light on the sugar because my strawberries and pineapple were already so sweet. Also, for an icier texture add more water and/or alcohol.

This is also excellent with a little vodka poured over the top. I am sure rum would work well too. :)


Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: