Thursday, July 10, 2008

I Love this Cornbread So Much...

I wanna take it behind the middle school and get it pregnant! If you watch the most amazing show ever (30 Rock), you know what I am talking about. If not, never mind. This week's Barefoot Bloggers recipe selection comes to us from Sabrina and Alexander of Cooking with Kids. Yes, kids picked the recipe, but it is a food for people of all ages. I made this over the Fourth of July weekend for a beach weekend potluck with my besties. At first, I actually went and bought the Jiffy mix from the grocery store, I figured it was easier and cheaper than buying a bunch of separate ingredients, but then guilt got the best of me. I am really trying to make everything from scratch, so the next day I was back at the store to get the cornmeal. When I had some at home, I ate it with a little honey butter to get that extra sweetness I was craving.

Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
(from Ina Garten)

3 c all-purpose flour
1 c yellow cornmeal
1/4 c sugar
2 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp kosher salt
2 c milk
3 extra large eggs, lightly beaten
2 sticks unsalted butter, melted, plus extra to grease the pan
8 oz extra sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
3 scallions, chopped (white and green parts), plus extra for garnish
3 tbsp seeded and minced fresh jalapeno peppers (about 1 1/2 peppers)

Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and butter. With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry until most of the lumps are dissolved. Don't over mix. Mix in most of the cheddar, the scallions, and jalapenos, and allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes. While the mixture is resting, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13x2 baking pan.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the stop, and sprinkle with the remaining Cheddar and the extra scallions. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and cut into large squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Summertime said...

I haven't watched 30 Rock, but when I started reading your post I laughed so hard I nearly choked! oh, and your cornbread looks great!

Veronica said...

I agree I loved this cornbread too!

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling this cornbread would make love like an ugly girl – so present, so grateful. Damn, 30 Rock is a good show.

My Sweet & Saucy said...

I bet this was delicious! Looks so yummy!

Anonymous said...

This looks great! We are having chili tonight, which I had time to make this, too!