Sunday, July 20, 2008

Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes

It's my birthday today. Also, my name means a girl born on Sunday - so happy birthday to me!! I had a lovely drinky evening at the Palihouse and I still managed to get up early and go to the farmer's market. I spent much of the day baking yesterday and here are some of the results. I wanted a cake that wasn't too sweet, but was still festive and fun. After much searching, I settled on Nigella's chocolate Guinness cake. It was a perfect mix of richness and chocolate with just a slight sweetness despite the two cups of sugar in the mix. I am really looking forward to all the next year has to offer and thanks to all who made my birthday so special!!

Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes
(Adapted from Feast by Nigella Lawson)



Cake
1 c Guinness stout (not the whole can - drink the leftover yourself!)
1 stick unsalted butter
3/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
2 c granulated sugar (superfine, if possible)
3/4 c sour cream
2 eggs
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
2 c all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking soda

Icing
8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
1 c confectioner's sugar
1/2 c heaving whipping cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with baking cups.

Pour Guinness into a large saucepan, add butter and heat over low heat until melted. Whisk in cocoa powder and sugar. In a small bowl, beat sour cream with eggs and vanilla until smooth and whisk into the beer mixture. Finally, whisk in flour and baking soda.

Divide batter among muffin tins, filling each 3/4 full. Bake 20 - 25 minutes until risen. Cool and turn out on a wire rack.

To make the icing:
Place cream cheese and confectioner's sugar in a mixing bowl and whip with an electric beater until smooth. Gradually add cream and beat again until you have a spreadable consistency. Ice top of the cake starting in th middle and fanning out so that it resembles the frothy top of a pint of Guinness.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

test it comm said...

Happy birthday! I really like the sound of a chocolate guinness cake!

cindy* said...

happy belated birthday! i love that these have guinness in them-i am going to have to try them now, perhaps irish car bomb themed.

Paula said...

Happy, happy birthday! Those cupcakes look terrific! I've not heard of using Guinness in a cake recipe before, and now I'm intrigued! Sounds like a yummy flavored cake. Yum!

Donna-FFW said...

Hi Esi-
Just wanted to tell you I mentioned these on my post today, they look that good and made such an impression when I read about them, .