Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Warm Quinoa Salad with Asparagus and Peas

I've been bringing quinoa salads to work every week for the last couple of months. I needed to clear some room in my fridge for all the stuff I had to prepare this weekend so I wanted to make a quinoa salad that didn't require beans (only using half and having to refrigerate the leftovers). I had some asparagus left from the farmer's market and added more green with some frozen peas. Originally this was was going to be a cold salad, but since I waited till 9:30 at night to make it and assemble it and taste it (I was playing with some cool new stuff I got), I decided to go with it being warm, besides, I have never had a warm quinoa salad before. It was very easy to make and I loved the summery combination of flavors. I topped it with a few roasted pistachios (not pictured) which added a nice, salty crunch.

Warm Quinoa Salad with Asparagus and Peas
(By Esi)

1/2 c organic quinoa, rinsed
1 c organic free-range chicken broth
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 organic frozen peas
1 bunch slim asparagus cut into bite sized pieces
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp roasted pistachio meats (optional)
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

Cook quinoa according to package instructions using chicken broth instead of water. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes until slightly caramelized. Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Add asparagus to the onion mixture and cook for about 5 minutes until the asparagus is warmed through, but still bright green and crunchy.

In a large bowl combine, quinoa with asparagus, onion mixture, and lemon juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary. Serve warm, sprinkled with pistachios if desired.

*UPDATE: I'm sending this recipe over to the Healthy Cooking event at Fun and Food. Check it out!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

Paula said...

I just found your blog via Closet Cooking, and I'm so glad that I did! Your recipes are terrific! I love this quinoa salad you've prepared, and your grilled pizza and that pasta recipe sound so yummy. Great blog! I'll be back! Yum!

test it comm said...

That quinoa salad looks nice an summery and good! I have been enjoying quinoa and other whole grain salads a lot lately.

Adi said...

you inspired me! had some left over quinoa which was pretty boring... but then i added an assortment of sauteed veggies from my farm share and it was somewhat better. i think the trick is to always cook the quinoa in broth (which of course i was out of). love your blog!!! and i'm impressed with your dedication.

Esi said...

Thanks!! I agree, cooking the quinoa in broth adds so much more flavor than plain water.

Anonymous said...

hm...i've never had quinoa before but this looks really good! whole grains are always a plus. and i love asparagus.

Mansi said...

this quinoa salad is the perfect filling and inspiring healthy dish! great flavors with the asparagus and peas! I'd be glad if you could send this in for the healthy cooking event I'm running onmy blog!:)

to2sassy said...

Sounds like a tasty dish. I have been experimenting with Quinoa myself and I usually eat it warm the when it is first made and then the leftovers cold. It seems like it always tastes good both ways.

Archana Doshi said...

Lovely, and healthy and perfect. I would like to invite you to the ONE DISH MEAL- SALAD event I am hosting and would love to receive a recipe from you. This dish seems to fit the rules for the event. If you wish to send something else, do see the rules in my site. Will look forward to a recipe from you for the event. Thank You