Thursday, July 31, 2008

Peach and Strawberry Empanadas

Last week I made recipes featuring strawberries and peaches. This week I wanted to combine the two. A few weeks ago I made fruit empanadas and while they weren't the prettiest things to look at, they sure tasted good. Also, empanadas were perfect because I could use the butter I made over the weekend. I was a little worried when working the dough because it came out drier than the last time I made these. It probably could have used a little extra butter, but I am so glad I went with the vanilla cinnamon butter. It added another dimension to the empanadas and I loved the combination of strawberry and peaches. The filling leaked all over the place, but they still tasted great. I got a little tired of rolling out empanada discs so I made a little galette with the last part of the fruit filling and the remaining dough. (Once again inspired by the Tuesdays with Dorie peeps) I think the reason I enjoy empanadas so much is because they are similar to my mother's meat pies (even though she has yet to give me the recipe for those). I can't wait to try them again, but next time with a savory filling.

Empanada Dough
(Adapted from Epicurious)

2 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
1/2 c cold vanilla cinnamon butter, cut into cubes
1 large egg
1/3 c ice water
1 tbsp distilled white vinegar

Sift the flour, salt, and sugar into a large bowl and blend in butter with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse meal with some pea size butter lumps.

Beat together egg, water, and vinegar in a small bowl with a fork. Add to flour mixture, stirring with fork until just incorporated. Mixture will be shaggy.

Turn out mixture onto a lightly floured surface and gather together, then knead gently with the heel of your hand once or twice to bring the dough together. Form dough into a flat rectangle and chill, wrapped in plastic wrap for at least 1 hour.

Dough can be chilled up to 6 hours.


Strawberry and Peach Empanadas
(Adapted from Laylita's Recipes)

1 pint organic strawberries, chopped
1 large peach, chopped
1/2 c sugar
2 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 egg, lightly whisked with milk
organic turbinado raw cane sugar for sprinkling

Combine the peaches, strawberries, sugar, orange juice, and cornstarch in a large bowl. Mix well and let rest for one hour.

Drain the liquid from the strawberries and rhubarb.

Using a ramekin, cut dough into a discs. Roll each disc out to about 1/8 inch thick. Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough.

Spoon the drained peach and strawberry mixture into each empanada disc. Fold the empanada discs and seal the edges, use a fork to help seal the empanadas.

Chill the empanadas for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Brush each empanada with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

The empanadas look yummy! I'm developing an obsession with sweet empanadas and these fit the bill. ;)

test it comm said...

Fruit empanadas sound great!

Erica said...

Those look freaking amazing!!

Unknown said...

Visit This Link hair pieces for women,hair pieces for women,cheap wigs human hair,cheap wigs,hair toppers,wigs,costume wigs,hair toppers,cheap wigs human hair see page