Friday, July 25, 2008

Shrimp Salad with Tomato

The other day I came home to a great surprise. Mail! Not just any mail. Mail that wasn't a bill or a newsletter or some other useless piece of junk that our postman/woman thoughtlessly shoves into our box. Honest to goodness mail that people used to send to each other before fancy computers. It was so exciting and it reminded me of a time when I used to write many letters to stay in touch with various friends I had met at summer camp or when we moved to a different town. Anyway, this particular mail came from a lovely friend who sent me clippings from the current issue of Food & Wine. Of course I had to try one of them this week, but I made some modifications with things I already had at home. Also, I had to omit the avocado because I (unfortunately) can't eat it. It literally makes me sick even though I used to love it. I actually made this a couple of nights ago, but didn't snap any pictures of it. It was so good, I didn't mind making it again :)

Shrimp Salad with Tomato
(Adapted from Chili-Lime Crab Salad with Tomato and Avocado from Food & Wine, July 2008)

*Makes one serving

juice from 1 lemon
1 tbsp organic extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp very finely chopped jalapeƱo (if you're scared of salmonella just use a dash of dried red chili flakes)
1 tbsp chopped cilantro, plus extra for garnish
1 tsp honey
1 clove garlic, minced
kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
4 or 5 shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tbsp minced red onion
1 beefsteak tomato cut into 1/2 inch thick slices (you will only need one slice for the serving, enjoy the rest on your own time)
tortilla chips or crackers for serving (optional)

In a small skillet, cook shrimp until pink and cooked through. Set aside to cool.

In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, jalapeno, chopped cilantro, honey, garlic, and red onion. Season with salt and pepper.

Chop the shrimp into chunks and toss with the dressing. Season with salt and pepper if necessary. Serve with tortilla chips or crackers.

Place tomato slice on a plate and season with salt. Top with the shrimp mixture and garnish with cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips.

*All measurements are approximate because I hate to measure things unless I am baking.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Neen said...

Mmm, that looks lovely and fresh and light! And I totally know what you mean about getting REAL MAIL. We recently moved and I have some spare time on my hands before graduate school starts... so the first thing I did was sit down and write postcards to folks until my hand fell off. It felt so satisfying to have a big handful of cards to drop in the mailbox.